Saturday, 4 May 2013

LITTLE PRESENTS

I often create little handmade goodies to add to the snailmail and I got these blank matchboxes to package them in. I don't remember where I bought them, but I bet if you just google: blank matchboxes you can find a (craft) shop that sells them. I use them for the safe travel, but it can also look really fun.



A little while ago I created these animals. They're small plastic animals that I painted and yesterday I glued magnets on the back. I thought they'd be fun to include in the snailmail. I also created some fabric (my own design!) covered buttons to which I also added magnets.



First a tip: if you want to wrap something that's fragile, you might want to secure it. I use bubblewrap.
This is also great when the object is small.



Basically you can use anything: paint, markers, stickers, postage stamps, ribbon or twine, any kind of tape, pencils, stamps, buttons, fabric.. whatever you like to work with. At the moment I'm really into masking / washi / deco tape, so that's what I used. Here are a few examples of what you can do to decorate the little box. The cute squirrel sticker is from Oktoberdots.



It works best when you decorate the box after you've put the object in it. But if you forgot that, here's an easy way to open the box without damaging the decoration: use a stanley knife or scissors to cut where you see the dotted lines (on both sides!) and just slide the box open.



I hope you enjoyed this sort of tutorial! Have a great weekend.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this idea of re-painting plastic animals and turning them into magnets! Am inspired to now go out to an op-shop and find some lonely plastic toys looking for a new home. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete